Monday, June 21, 2010

On hobbies and collecting

I've realised over the years that few Sri Lankans have hobbies and, if they do, they are usually ignorant about the scope of their hobby. One aim of this blog is to impress upon people the value of having a hobby, and also that you don't have to be rich to have one. Collecting paper cuttings is a low-cost hobby. So is basic stamp collecting. You collect what you fish out of the dust bin.
Secondly, Sri Lankans who do have hobbies and collections are like hermits. There is no sharing of knowledge (look up and see how many SL websites or blogs are there on hobbies and collecting. Another aim of this blog is to let people see what I have collected over the years, and see show them the possibilities of collecting for pleasure and information.
Finally, for those who grumble there is never any money for hobbies, all I can say is that I have ridden a bicycle some 150,000 km over almost 30 years, and saved a lot of money that way. I still cycle, because I still want to collect. Also, the money that may have gone for alcohol and cigarettes has gone into this. I'm not setting myself as an example here. The choice of what to do with your money is yours. Sacrifices have to be made for the sake of a hobby. If you can't, then don't grumble!

No comments:

Post a Comment