Friday, June 25, 2010

Photography




Photography was a major obsession ever since I picked up my first SLR camera -- I was only 23, and it has been an exciting and often frustrating but rewarding journey for three decades since then. I have largely taught myself (the mistakes are there for all to see) but the pictures that remain are often satisfying. I have done some press work but funny enough, never considered myself a pro (maybe because I earned very little from my work). But I set myself goals and became a documentary photographer in the 1990s, photographing family, friends, people, places, old buildings, vehicles, posters and billboards. Put together, I Hope it'll be an interesting photographic record of changing times. I do very little photography now because I have taken to studying music and hence have little free time (and also, frankly, I'm tired!) but this documentary project is lifelong and will go on.


This is one of my favourite photos – taken as usual haphazardly, without pre-planning, having spotted a picture idea while walking down the street. This is the entrance to Odel fashion store from Ward Place, from the Eye Hospital side. These billboard ads keep changing every few months, and this picture of two models was there for a while way back (around 2000?) I found the nonchalant pose struck by the cyclist in sharp contrast to the sophisticated pose assumed by the models. The contrast between lifestyles too, becomes stark – the models represent high living while cyclist is down-and-out. The stippled shadows cast by the sun provide excellent atmosphere, which is one of repose even though this was at a busy Colombo intersection during the rush hour!

Canon FTb manual SLR, Canon FD 28mm lens, Fuji neopan SS 100 ASA

No comments:

Post a Comment